Tuesday, April 26, 2011

In which I do things that are not writing, fucking or surfing

(or eating seafood)

Yesterday I set aside my work for a while to paint a vase I bought at a local flea market.  I have no idea what the seller was trying to tell me about it, perhaps it was priceless and I've ruined it, but in any case it was this great, curvy vase and upon seeing it I *had* to have it.  I stopped by the art store to pick up a brush and a few paints, some base, and a sealant (I don't travel with such things as they don't fly well) and yesterday I finally got around to putting my mark on it.

It's a stubby little thing.  I can't figure what it's made of, not quite terra cotta, not quite porcelain, and it used to be rough like a ceramic that hasn't been glazed yet.  I coated it with a base, daubed it with inexpert little flowers, and once it was dry I sprayed a sealant over the entire thing.  Just now I put in some cut orchids and a bit of water.  Here's hoping it doesn't leak!

No matter how full my life is, I always feel the need to occasionally set aside my work and create something new and beautiful.  If I can create something beautiful every once in a while I feel as though I've contributed in a positive way to the world around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment